2017 Young Rural & Regional Journalist Professional Development Award
The Young Rural and Regional Journalist Professional Development Award provides the winner the unique opportunity to experience a two-day education program, exposing the winner to metropolitan media experiences of their choice related to or occurring at the Royal Adelaide Show.
The winner gains a valuable insight into metropolitan media in a broad or specific way, depending on the person’s interests and aspirations.
Entrants have opportunity to indicate special areas of interest in their cover letter and if successful, to negotiate their two-day program with RMSA.
The Award is an initiative of the Royal Agricultural & Horticultural Education Foundation of SA and Rural Media South Australia (RMSA) and proudly supported by media mentor partners Stock Journal, ABC Rural, Channel Seven and Advertiser.
The three primary objectives are:
1. Foster high professional standards and provide professional development opportunities for young regionally-based journalists.
2. Encourage greater participation among journalists in reporting on the activities of their local SA Country Show and their local community’s participation in the Royal Adelaide Show.
3. Develop reporting that elevates the importance of regional communities and rural issues for all South Australians.
The winner’s prize is:
• $1,000 to the winner, sponsored jointly by RMSA and the RA&HS Education Foundation.
• $500 to the winner’s employer to cover their absence while attending the 2017 Royal Adelaide Show.
• tailored two-day education program coordinated by the RMSA committee to be undertaken during the 2017 Royal Adelaide Show on Wednesday 6 September 2017 and Thursday 7 September 2017.
During the two day education program, it is envisaged the winner will compile one or more stories regarding people from their local area who are participating at the Royal Adelaide Show for publication/broadcast by their regional media employer.
It is suggested the prize money is used for expenses incurred for travel and accommodation in Adelaide for the two-day program, although this is not a stipulation.